Network Services Fees
Information Technology Services (ITS) is pleased to offer faculty and staff several cost-effective options for purchasing additional network storage, centrally-managed hosting solutions, additional data ports, and teleworking services bundles.
- Additional Network File Storage
- Application Hosting
- Additional Network Data Ports
- Teleworking Services Bundles
UNCG faculty and staff may purchase additional home directory storage, and departments may purchase additional department directory or specialized department storage at a minimal annually recurring cost.
|Storage Description||Cost per Additional
GB per year
|Additional Home Directory or Department Directory Storage may be purchased by faculty and staff. This storage has enterprise class backup (daily).||$3.15|
|Specialized Department Storage:|
|Windows Web & Database File Space||$4.00|
|MS SQL Database Space||$4.00|
|Streaming Media File Space||$4.00|
|AFS File Space||$3.15|
|Additional Virtual Server Space (data drive)||$6.00|
|LAMP web hosting (cPanel) for additional website||$3.15|
UNCG faculty, staff and departments may also purchase special-purpose storage (distinct from their home directory or department directory storage). These Special Volumes vary in cost according to the frequency of backup required. Please see Backup Services for more details.
|Storage Description||Cost per Additional GB per year|
|<YouNameIt> Storage (Special Volumes):|
|Enterprise backup (daily)||$3.15|
|Basic backup (weekly)||$2.15|
|Disaster Recovery backup (monthly)||$1.65|
Researchers may purchase research class data storage at an annual cost of $0.65 per GB, or $665.00 per terabyte.
As the name implies, only research data associated with a grant may be stored here. This class of storage is intended to accommodate large research files, such as data sets, audio and video.
|Storage Description||Cost per Additional GB per year|
|<YouNameIt> Research Storage:
Disaster Recovery backup (monthly)
Faculty, staff and departments who purchase disk storage services beyond their default allocations will be billed on a 12-month cycle that begins July 1 each year. Multiple years of services may not be purchased in advance. The only exception is that annual costs for grant funded services can be pre-paid concurrent with grant funding cycles.
Mid-year purchases are prorated as follows:
- Requests placed between July 1 and December 31 will be billed a pro-rated amount for the current fiscal year.
- Requests placed between January 1 and June 30 will be billed a pro-rated amount that will be added to the next fiscal year bill.
ITS provides centrally-managed hosting solutions for University department applications with server requirements.
- ITS provides multiple platforms (Windows and Red Hat Linux) geared to meet clients’ computing needs. This service provides clients with a reliable, monitored, secure and managed solution.
- ITS provides hosting of servers (both virtual and physical) in the University Data Centers. Clients may use servers to provide applications to their departments.
- ITS hosts databases for University departments. Available databases are: Oracle and Microsoft SQL.
Hosting costs are based on the use of Virtual Servers. Virtual Servers come standard with a 40 gigabyte drive for the operating system.
Includes 40 GB OS drive (Windows or Linux) + 1 CPU + Enterprise Backup + Enterprise Monitoring.
|VM Size (Memory in GB)||Current Cost per year||New Cost per year
Effective July 1, 2012
|1||$ 450.00||$ 320.00|
|2||$ 650.00||$ 400.00|
Note: Additional CPU Charge = $290 each.
If additional data storage is required it can be purchased. Data drives less than 100 GB are added directly to virtual servers. Data drives greater than 100 GB are configured as a special volume. Please see Data Storage Services for more details.
Faculty, staff and departments who purchase managed infrastructure services will be billed on a 12-month cycle that begins July 1 each year. Multiple years of services may not be purchased in advance. The only exception is that annual costs for grant funded services can be pre-paid concurrent with grant funding cycles.
Mid-year purchases are pro-rated as follows:
- Requests placed between July 1 and December 31 will be billed a pro-rated amount for the current fiscal year
- Requests placed between January 1 and June 30 will be billed a pro-rated amount that will be added to the next fiscal year bill
Every UNCG faculty and staff member is entitled to 2 wired network data ports operating at 1 Gb speeds in his or her office at no cost to the department.
Additional ports may be requested for a fee. A one-time $175.00 data activation fee is the actual cost to the University of a port on a network switch. Additional labor costs are charged if a new data outlet ("wall jack") must be installed, or an existing one moved.
Given that the University is faced with significant energy consumption and cost reduction mandates, as well as space constraints on the main campus, University leadership has been interested in the impact of teleworking in helping to achieve our goals and mitigate some constraints. The investments we have made in wired and wireless networking have allowed us to build an architecture that can support a very robust and full-featured teleworking experience for our faculty and staff. ITS is pleased to announce the upcoming release of a new remote access service into the AD/GCN computing environment. The Teleworking Services Bundles offered by ITS provide UNCG faculty and staff with:
- The ability to work from a remote location: work from home as if you are in the office (e.g., answer your phone and access your network files).
- Direct access to the GCN and corresponding Enterprise Services like email, Banner, and network file space: just plug in your GCN-imaged device and you can access the same services you can access from on-campus.
- A hardware-based alternative to SSL VPN: once you connect to the network via the remote access device, you have access to the same set of services that are available on the wired UNCG network; no need to use a VPN client when connecting through the remote access device.
- Built-in wireless access to the GCN: convenient access method enables personnel to set up a home office quickly and easily.
- An optional software-based telephone: either an extension to your current UNCG office phone or a new UNCG phone number.
- GCN laptop or desktop computer
- An active Internet connection, through a DSL or cable modem
- An electrical outlet for the remote access device
- A headset/microphone for the softphone, if selected
Annually Recurring Costs
- Teleworking Bundle 1
- Comes with remote access device; no telephone option selected
- $210 per year
- Teleworking Bundle 2
- Comes with remote access device and a softphone with the same phone number as your office phone
- $235 per year
- Teleworking Bundle 3
- Comes with remote access device and a softphone with a new phone number
- $500 per year
- Remote Access Device
- Faculty and staff can opt to install the remote access device themselves for free
- On-site installation:
- available within a 25-mile radius of campus
- $75 per hour; 30-minute minimum
- the UNCG employee must be present at the time of installation
- The Cisco IP Communicator will need to be installed on the faculty/staff laptop or desktop
- New phone number: $80 setup + Time and Materials at current labor rate
- Same phone number: Time and Materials at current labor rate