Managed Infrastructure Services (Server & Database Hosting)
Many specialized applications need to run on a server. Some of these also require a dedicated database. As a solution for these types of applications, ITS offers a "Managed Hosting Service". Managed Hosting Services provide a dedicated server, configured to your specific needs, that is operated in a safe and fault-tolerant facility.
UNCG faculty and staff can purchase three types of managed hosting services, each of which are highly customizable to meet individual user needs:
- Virtual servers configured with Windows 2008
- Virtual servers with Red Hat Enterprise Linux pre-installed
- Hosted databases configured either Oracle or Microsoft SQL pre-installed
All managed hosting services include:
- Assistance with development of an architectural design that meets vendor and/or grant specifications
- High availability provided by server infrastructure and RAID-level volume disk storage that is fully redundant between the two campus data centers
- Server administration including installation and management of operating system, patching and updates, and network connectivity
- Flexibility to choose your preferred level of application hosting support (you can choose to retain full administrative rights to your application environment as root admin or let ITS help you manage your application)
- Equipment and physical environment management in a Tier 2 data center facility (climate controlled, access controlled, managed security, generator power, 24x7x365 monitoring)
- Enterprise backup – server & data backup, restoration and testing
- Capacity management
- Assistance in business continuity planning
Co-location services are also available for researchers with specialized server hardware and OS management expertise who need a controlled data center environment for their equipment. We recommend that you schedule pre-purchase consulting with ITS to ensure that your equipment specifications are compatible with the campus data center environment.
Hosting costs are based on the use of Virtual Servers. For details, see Network Services Fees: Virtual Server Costs.
To learn more or obtain Managed Infrastructure Services, please contact 6-TECH at (336) 256-TECH (8324) or 6-TECH@uncg.edu.