Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client (Mac and Linux)
Note: These instructions are for clients who are in departments that have been transitioned to the new General Computing Network (GCN) service for Mac and Linux computers (see: Rollout of New GCN Service for Mac and Linux Computers to Begin Week of 3/12).
The Cisco AnyConnect Virtual Private Network (VPN) client for Mac and Linux computers will provide remote access equivalent to the area of the General Computing Network (GCN) that is for Mac and Linux only. The following services will be available:
- Active Directory Authentication
- Personal and Shared Directory Access
- Domain Name Services
- Licensed Applications
The AnyConnect VPN client creates a secure path to the GCN in order for your computer to access these campus resources. VPN creates an encrypted network connection between you and UNCG. Your computer will logically be part of the UNCG network when using a VPN connection.
Note: Access between the GCN for Windows and the GCN for Mac and Linux will not be permitted! The AnyConnect Client for Mac and Linux will only be supported for Intel-based Mac OS X and Linux (Ubuntu LTE and RedHat) systems.
- The AnyConnect VPN client is available for download for faculty and staff only.
- For more information about VPN at UNCG, read: UNCG General Computing Network VPN Remote Access Overview.
Install the AnyConnect VPN Client
- Open your web browser and navigate to sslvpn.uncg.edu.
Note: The latest version of Java must be installed for the site to function properly.
- Once you connect to this site, your system will be validated.
- After validation, a login screen will appear. Select UNCG-GCN-NONAP from the drop-down menu, enter your UNCG username and password, and click Login.
- Click Continue to accept the security banner.
- Once you have successfully logged in, you should be directed to the AnyConnect web page. If not, select AnyConnect from the bar on the left-hand side.
- Click the Start AnyConnect link to install the client. The Web-based installation of the client will begin.
Note: If the client cannot be installed via the web, you will have the option to install the client manually. To manually install the client, click the install link provided. A shell installation file (vpnsetup.sh) will be downloaded for Linux host and an Apple disk image file (vpnsetup.dmg) will be downloaded for Mac OS X hosts. Install this file as you would install any software package on your respective systems.
- The AnyConnect client will be installed under the Applications directory for Macs and the Internet directory for Linux hosts.
- Once the client has been installed, you can launch the client from the install directory, select UNCG-GCN-NONAP from the drop down menu, and enter your UNCG username and password. A secure connection will be established the GCN environment for Mac and Linux computers.