Office 365 @ UNCG
Microsoft Office 365 provides enhancements, cost-savings and convenience
- Free to all UNCG students, faculty, and staff
- Access to web and desktop apps
- Use new tools like OneDrive
Office 365 is the cloud-based Microsoft productivity suite that provides access to Office applications (like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote) and other productivity services. Information Technology Services (ITS) has made Office 365 available to all UNCG students, faculty and staff, which provides feature enhancements, cost-savings and convenience advantages for the UNCG community.
"Office Online," web-based, online versions of the Microsoft Office suite, can be accessed via web browsers at office365.uncg.edu. UNCG's Office 365 subscription service also permits UNCG students, faculty and staff to download and install "Office Desktop versions," full desktop versions of the Microsoft Office suite. The current desktop version is Office 2016 for Windows and Macs. Use the download link for your operating system at the top of this page to get the installer.
Office 365 Benefits
- Access to Office Online ("web apps"). These online versions of commonly used Microsoft software (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote) allow you to work in a web browser without installing the desktop versions. While not as fully featured as the desktop versions, these web applications offer most of the functionality our students, faculty and staff need for typical use.
- All students have access to install full Office Desktop versions of Office products on up to 5 desktop and 5 mobile devices at no charge, helping our students save money. Previously, only graduate assistants and students who purchased their laptops through the Student Laptop Program were eligible for Microsoft Office licenses through UNCG.
- All faculty and staff have access to install full Office Desktop versions of Office products on up to 5 desktops, 5 phones, and 5 tablets at no charge, saving employees and departments both time and money. Previously, faculty and staff who needed to install software for “work at home” on non-University devices had to pay a small media charge (<$10) to obtain the installation disks, and only 3 installations were allowed.
- Access to new software and services. Office 365 includes access to tools not previously supported at UNCG, such as OneDrive, a web-based storage offering that provides every UNCG user with one terabyte of space. OneDrive will allow you to store and share Office 365 files with people inside and outside UNCG, and is configured as a 1-Lock storage service (see Data Classification Policy for UNCG). Office 365 also provides potential integration with other services such as Lync (chat and video conferencing) and Skype. The investigation of integrations with other services is ongoing.