University records are to be maintained according to North Carolina Public Records Law. The North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources grants the University permission to destroy records that are no longer of value to the University via state approved records retention and disposition schedules.
No destruction of records may take place if litigation or audits are pending or reasonably anticipated or foreseeable.
In order to help define the responsibility and requirements regarding University records management, refer to the following:
- UNC General Records Retention and Disposition Schedule
- Electronic Records Retention Policy
- Legal Hold Policy and Procedures
- An Employee's Guide to Managing University Records brochure
- Transferring University Records to the Archives
- Records Management Workshops
If you are unable to find the disposition instructions for a record, or if you have questions, please contact 6-TECH at (336) 256-TECH (8324) or by email at 6-TECH@uncg.edu.