Students, faculty, and staff are able to purchase a variety of discounted software titles through Information Technology Services (ITS) or various software vendors.
UNCG Online Software Store
Some discounted software applications are available through the UNCG Online Software Store. This allows students, faculty, and staff to purchase software without having to come to campus during business hours and to save both time and money, eliminating extra shipping costs.
The online store is available 24/7. ITS is partnering with Kivuto, Inc., to make the following titles available for sale online:
- Mathematica for students.
Free installers are available from the Mathematica website for eligible faculty and staff. For more information visit Mathematica Software @ UNCG.
- IBM SPSS Statistics and AMOS (students and faculty)
- Read&Write - a discreet, customizable toolbar that integrates reading, writing, studying, and research support tools with common applications. Made available through a license owned by the Office of Accessibility Resources & Services (OARS).
- Microsoft Dreamspark software. DreamSpark is a Microsoft Program that supports technical education by providing access to Microsoft software for learning, teaching and research purposes. Some software is available to all students and other titles are available only to students and faculty in STEM departments.
On Campus Access
SAS and JMP may be obtained through ITS Client Services. Because of the lengthy download time and resulting problems, SAS is not available through the UNCG Online Software Store. For information on acquiring SAS, visit SAS Software @ UNCG.
Microsoft and Adobe Software
For information on making institutional purchases of Microsoft or Adobe software from the UNC system designated vendor for campus computers, please visit:
Free and discounted software from vendors
Many vendors offer special pricing for students and/or faculty. Be sure to check a software vendor’s website for any "educational" or "student" pricing before making a purchase. Here are a few programs for free or discounted software used in some classes.
- HLM Student - A student version of HLM can be downloaded from this page.
- Stata Gradplan - Faculty may register their courses at no charge with StataCorp in order to get discounted pricing on Stata for their students.
- X-Win 32 - an X11 emulator for 32- and 64-bit Windows PCs
- Autodesk ARC (Academic Resource Center) - Faculty and students are now eligible to obtain Autodesk’s most popular software applications free of charge directly from Autodesk. For more information, visit the Autodesk Academic Resource Center.