Dell and Lenovo are the approved vendors for the Campus-wide Hardware Procurement program at this time.
You may shop for or purchase an approved computer with a Pcard or Purchase Order through eMarketplace.
For questions or assistance selecting and configuring appropriate hardware models, please contact 6-TECH at 6-TECH@uncg.edu, or (336) 256-TECH (8324).
- Because, unlike Dell, the Lenovo online store available through UNCG’s eMarketplace does not include ITS-recommended “Keep Your Hard Drive” and “Accidental Damage Coverage” in their laptop pricing, their laptops show a reduced price. When purchasing, ITS recommends adding $118.00 to the price of the laptop in order to include these two items. In the same way, Lenovo desktop machines are reduced in their pricing by at least $20.00 because “Keep Your Hard Drive” is not standard. ITS recommends selecting “Keep Your Hard Drive” when purchasing.
Note: “Keep your hard drive” is a selection that allows for defective hard drives to be replaced without sending the original hard disk back to manufacturer – this provides a measure of security for data that should not be exposed to unknown resources. The accidental damage provision provides coverage for most damage that is not manufacturer defects, nor intentional misuse. A detailed description of what is and is not covered can be found in the manufacturer’s online store available through UNCG’s eMarketplace.
- Windows 7 Premium is your current OS selection on all systems by default, but the appropriate OS will be loaded on the computer by UNCG when it is delivered.
- While software is available within the Lenovo configuration, it is recommended that you visit Software @ UNCG for availability at UNCG at low or no cost. Any software that is selected with the computer on the manufacturer’s e-store will incur an additional and likely unnecessary cost.
- The new Intel processor, “Haswell,” which is the replacement for the previous one, “Ivybridge,” should be available by November 2013. Purchasers seeking the greatest performance gains may favor waiting for the new processor to become available prior to making a purchase.
- Lenovo Workstation Models S30 and E31 are NOT supported by UNCG because they are not compatible with the standard UNCG operating system & software load (standard UNCG “image”).
For purchasers who are interested in workstation (i.e., very high performance) models, ITS supports two models from Dell. The equivalent models are: Dell Precision T3600 and Precision T5600.
- If you want to choose the multi-touch screen option on the Lenovo Carbon laptop, you must select the Windows 8, 64-bit option. The laptop will be delivered to you with the appropriate operating system.
Note: Any purchases of Windows-based PCs not covered by our CHP program must be approved through a campus-specific exception process. You must fill out the Non-Standard PC Configuration Justification Form. After you login to the eMarketplace, you will find the form on the Forms tab at the top of the eMarketplace home page.