Google Groups for Group Owners and Managers
These instructions describe the basic procedures for managing Google Groups at UNCG. Typical settings will be described, followed by more detailed explanations of settings. For general information, see: About Google Groups.
To request a Group, contact 6-TECH at (336) 256-TECH (8324) or 6-TECH@uncg.edu - or complete the Google Groups Request form.
Groups can be of various types and for various audiences. Some typical examples and settings include:
- Public: Anyone with a uncg.edu email address can join, post messages, view the Members list, and read the archives. You can also grant this access to anyone on the Internet.
- Team: Only Managers or Owners can invite new Members, but anyone with a uncg.edu email address can post messages, view the Members list, and read the archives. You can also allow anyone on the Internet to post messages.
- Announcement-only: Only Managers or Owners can post messages and view the Members list, but anyone with a uncg.edu email address can can join and read the archives.
- Restricted: Only Managers or Owners can invite new Members. Only Members can post messages, view the Members list, and read the archives. Messages to the group do not appear in search results, and the group is not listed in the Directory.
- Email list: This is similar to a traditional mailing list. Users are added by the Manager or Owner, not invited. Messages are not archived. Managers, Owners, and Members can post to the Group. This can be open to non-UNCG email addresses.
You can generally have any combinations of the settings above, and there are additional ones described below.
How to Change Your Group Settings
- Access your Google Groups in one of these ways:
- Your Google Groups window will open.
- Click on My Groups, and your Google Groups will be displayed.
- Select your Group and click the Manage button. On the left side of the page, you will see the following options. Click on any option for details on what the option does.