YouTube Via iSpartan
University faculty, staff, and students can set up a YouTube channel that is connected to their iSpartan (Google Mail) email account.
- Create a Channel
- Upload Videos
- Channel Settings
- Enhancement Features
- Google+ and YouTube
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Log in to your iSpartan email account.
- Click More at the top of the page and choose YouTube from the pull-down menu.
- On the YouTube homepage, click the Sign In button.
- Once your YouTube homepage is displayed, you can click Upload to add files to your YouTube channel.
You can find a list of official UNCG YouTube channels on the UNCGConnect Social Media Hub.
To upload videos longer than 15 minutes in length, some additional features must be enabled within your YouTube account.
- Visit the upload page at www.youtube.com/my_videos_upload
- Click Increase your limit at the bottom of the page, or visit https://www.youtube.com/verify
- Follow the steps to verify your account with a mobile phone. Currently we aren’t able to offer other ways to verify your account.
For more information about account verification, please visit: Upload videos longer than 15 minutes
YouTube supports the following media formats for uploading:
Aspect Ratio Players
YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you are uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes (black bars on the left and right) or letter boxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player. If you want to fit the player perfectly, encode at these resolutions:
- 1080p: 1920x1080
- 720p: 1280x720
- 480p: 854x480
- 360p: 640x360
- 240p: 426x240
- Login to your YouTube account.
- Click your username.
- Click My Channel.
- Click the Channel Settings.
If you'd like to keep your Channel actions private instead of sharing them on your Channel Feed / with your Subscribers, sign in to your account and visit your YouTube Activity Sharing settings and your YouTube Privacy settings. There, you will be able to select which actions you share on your Channel and with your Subscribers, and unselect the actions which you'd prefer keep private.
- Auto-fix: Performs a one click-fix to enhance the video's lighting and color
- Lighting and color: To manually adjust lighting and color, click the icon next to Auto-fix to open a panel of controls
- Stabilize: Adjusts the video to correct any shakiness
- Trim: Clip parts off the beginning and/or end of your video
- Filters: The left side of the page shows pre-set color filters that you can apply to your video to give them a stylish and unique look
- Face blurring: Protect the anonymity of people in your video
- Preview how your video will look with the added enhancements by dragging the line in the video preview. If you wish to undo any changes, click Revert to original.
In conjunction with Google+, users can create Hangouts on Air via YouTube to host or participate in live streaming events. This service is currently limited to a total of 15 users at the same time. All participants must also have a Google+ account. See YouTube Hangouts On Air (Google+ and Hangouts) for more information.
- How does YouTube handle copyrighted content posted to the site?
YouTube has technology for discovering violations called Content ID, a sophisticated set of tools that helps them find content on YouTube and gives authors the choice of what to do when they find it: block it, leave it up, or make money from it. If a user feels that a video is violating their copyright, they can flag the video and select "infringes my copyright" from the list of options for review by the YouTube team.
For additional information about this policy at UNCG, see UNCG's Copyright and Fair Use guidelines and UNCG'S Copyright Ownership and Use Policy.
- Can users download YouTube videos?
No. Many websites offer services that either download or attempt to download YouTube videos from the site. Unless you see a "download" or similar link displayed by YouTube on the service for that content, downloading YouTube videos or using an external application to download videos is a violation of the video owner's copyright and YouTube Terms of Service.
- What happens if my uploading process freezes, or gets “stuck”?
Processing time varies greatly depending on the format of your original video, file size, and upload traffic. This could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. You should also expect that higher resolution formats will render more slowly.
If after 8 hours you still see a status message next to the video saying Uploaded (processing, please wait), try removing the video from the site and uploading it again. To do this, access My Videos and click the Remove Video button below the video in question. Then, go through the full upload process again.
- What is the difference between private and unlisted content?
If you would like to limit the exposure of one of your videos, you can set it to be a Private video. If your video is set to Private, only you and up to 50 other users who you invite to view the video will be able to see it. The video will not appear on your channel, in search results, or in playlists etc.
An unlisted video is a different type of private video. Unlisted means that only people who know the link to the video can view it (such as friends or family to whom you send the link). An unlisted video will not appear in any of YouTube's public spaces (such as search results, your channel, or the Browse page).
- Can I transfer YouTube video content from one account to another?
YouTube does not support direct transfer of data from one Channel to another; however, the option of downloading videos you have uploaded yourself is available. Once you have downloaded your video in MP4 format (.MP4), you can upload it to another Channel.