About Information Technology Services
Information Technology Services (ITS) is one of UNCG's four divisions that report
to the Chancellor, the university's chief executive. ITS is headed by Donna Heath, Acting Vice Chancellor and Chief Information
Officer (CIO). UNCG is a member of Internet2 and has been designated by the UNC
Board of Governors as an Information Technology Management Flexibility campus.
ITS Mission Statement
Information Technology Services (ITS) is UNCG's central technology organization, providing computing, communications, and data services, and consulting with UNCG faculty/staff/students on technology. ITS is responsible for planning and management of the transmission and utilization of data, voice, and video, in support of the university's academic and administrative goals. ITS promotes best practices, efficient procurement, and overall cost-effectiveness in the use of IT resources across the entire University. Also see: Using Technology for Efficiency and Effectiveness.
ITS tracks metrics in several categories to help monitor the performance of our
organization. For more information, including metrics for Client Satisfaction, Service
Utilization, and Uptime, visit the ITS Metrics website.
The How of IT Planning, 2013-2016
IT Advisory/Coordinating Structure at UNCG
- UNCG IT Governance & Advisory Structure (PDF: requires a reader such as Adobe Reader)
- Administrative Systems Committee Overview
- Information Technology Services Goals for 2014-16 (PDF: requires a reader such as Adobe Reader)
- Future Networks (PDF: requires a reader such as Adobe Reader)
- ITS Computing Environment Service Improvement Roadmap, 2014-2015 (PDF: requires a reader such as Adobe Reader)
- Information Technology Services: Brief Facts & Trends, for UNCG BOT - 2/19/14 (PDF: requires a reader such as Adobe Reader)
- ITS Technology Infrastructure Plan - 3/7/2013 (PDF: requires a reader such as Adobe Reader)
ITS Annual Reports
The reports linked in this section are in PDF format and require a reader such as Adobe Reader.
- ITS Annual Report 13-14: Talking Points & Institutional Effectiveness Statements
- ITS Annual Report 13-14: Full Assessment Report
- ITS Annual Report 12-13: Full Assessment Report
- Biennial Report on ITS Contributions to UNCG Sustainability Efforts, 2011-13
- ITS Annual Report 11-12: Activity Highlights & Institutional Effectiveness Statements
- ITS Annual Report 11-12: Full Assessment Report
- ITS Annual Report 10-11: Activity Highlights & Institutional Effectiveness Statements
- ITS Annual Report 10-11: Full Assessment Report
- ITS Annual Report 09-10 Activity Highlights & Institutional Effectiveness Statements
- ITS Goals 09-10: Annual Report of Outcomes
Technology Services & Utilization Reports
SACS Comprehensive Standard 3.4.12 - Technology Use was written in 2013 as UNCG's response to SACS Comprehensive Standard 3.4.12 - Use of Technology in Academic Programs. The content focuses on how UNCG uses technology to enhance the student learning experience and how students are trained in the use of technology. This document does not cover UNCG research technology or administrative computing services, except to illustrate how they support the student learning experience.
- SACS Comprehensive Standard 3.4.12 - Technology Use
- Appendix A - SACS 3.4.12 Technology Use Examples for Academic Programs
- Appendix B - SACS 3.4.12 List of Commonly Used and Specialized Technology for Enhancement of Student Learning at UNCG
ITS Services in Support of Online Learning - Spring 2011 was provided to University's Committee on Online Learning in May, 2011.
ITS operates as a single department, with all budget and staff centrally managed.
ITS has the following work groups:
- Administrative Systems
Administrative Systems provides services integral to the delivery of effective, efficient, and reliable core business information systems to the community of The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. It is made of up the areas of Management Information Systems (MIS) and Data Management.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Analysis of university client information system requirements and recommendation of best practice solutions
- Evaluation of marketed systems and development alternatives, and delivery of cost benefit analyses of available options
- Development and delivery of customed business systems tailored to specific university needs
- Installation and maintenance of vendor-supplied and locally developed systems
- Integration of diverse information system to improve operational efficiences
- Ensuring the availability, reliability, integrity, and efficiency of these information systems
- Providing services and solutions that enhance the value of university data in support of informed tactical and strategic decision making
- Learning Technology and Client Services
Learning Technology and Client Services is committed to delivering responsive, high-quality, customer-oriented services, and support that fosters a productive and stable instructional, research and administrative operational environment for the students, faculty, and staff of UNCG. In support of this mission, Information Technology Services (ITS) provides the following services:
- Acquisition, implementation, management, and support of selected instructional, research, and business software applications, including enterprise-wide learning, research, and office use technologies
- Maintenance and support of technology equipped learning spaces, open-access computer labs and "TeleLearning" facilities
- Reliable internal and external ITS communication services, including web/mobile application development and support
- Computer hardware and peripheral device acquisition support, installation, and repair
- Training, consultation and direct client assistance for use of technology at UNCG
- Participation in campus-wide initiatives to assess and meet university information technology needs
- Systems and Networks
Systems and Networks is responsible for managing the end-to-end service delivery and support processes to ensure that agreed upon customer requirements and expectations are met at all times. Services include:
- Plan, design, and implement stable and secure IT voice and data network infrastructure.
- Provide centrally hosted and managed enterprise file, Web, print, database, and application services.
- Provide hosting services according to the Enterprise Systems Policy (ESP) for departmental servers.
- Provide real time monitoring and maintenance of UNCG ITS infrastructure.
- Provide single point of contact for University client community ITS supported services through 6-TECH.
Systems and Networks is dedicated to continually improving the standards of customer service while ensuring a secure and stable working environment to support the business and academic goals of the University.
Senior Managers include
- Donna Heath, AVC for Systems and Networks
- Lee Norris, AVC for Administrative Systems
- Todd Sutton, AVC for Learning Technology and Client Services
- Gloria Thornton, Director of Research Computing and Data Governance/Integrity
- Vickie Gaskill, Director of Management and Budget
- Chris Waters, University Webmaster
- Jeff Whitworth, Chief Infrastructure Architect
Vice Chancellor's Office
- Sandra Suarez Astbury, Executive Assistant